I’ve done a lot of research over the years and given a lot of talks on the topic of childhood obesity and it’s good to see a major media company like Disney finally step to the plate. Read article here
Junk food advertising, especially to children, is big business. Here are few statistics that you probably were not aware of:
- The McDonald’s Corporation distributes more toys per year than Toys R Us. Think “Happy” Meals.
- Obesity is the number one health threat to kids and is the number one cause of Type 2 diabetes
- As recent as 15-year-ago, Type 2 diabetes was never seen in kids. In fact it used to be called “Adult Onset Diabetes”
- There are nearly 4 times as many overweight kids today as there were in 1985
- Only 2 percent of kids meet the food pyramid guidelines
- Less than 15 percent of kids get adequate servings of fruits and vegetables
- Teenage boys eat 70 percent of their meals away from home
- Fast food sales are higher than videos, books, music, movies and magazine sales combined
- The fast food industry spends over $3 billion a year in advertising
- Because of the childhood obesity epidemic, the life expectancy of today’s kids is less than ours.